ICYMI – GUEST ARTICLE: Taylor v Campos: Scotland’s Finest Recap

By Gregory Doyle

On Saturday 3rd March I was in attendance at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow, representing World Boxing Wall for Josh Taylors latest outing against Nicaraguan, Winston Campos. Campos a late replacement for Mexican Humberto Soto who had to pull out due to an unfortunate cut sustained whilst sparring as part of his preparation for the fight. If you remember my last article a few days ago I said don’t be surprised if this fight ends sooner rather than later. That certainly turned out to be the case. That being said, no discredit to Campos, he just happened to be in with one of the hottest prospects in world boxing. Josh Taylor is thundering up the rankings in the 140lbs super lightweight division and Campos had no answer for anything the ‘Tartan Tornado’ had to offer.

Round one started with Taylor showing clear respect for his opponent feeling his way in and out with a crisp southpaw jab. Towards the end of the round, Taylor started putting punches together which brought a puzzled look from Campos who at that point knew he had no answer to Taylor’s offence. My personal highlight in the fight came in round two. Words don’t do justice the sheer brilliance Taylor displayed here to mark the beginning of the end for Campos. A simple feint drew the Nicaraguan into throwing a lazy right hand which Taylor rolled under and came up with a beautifully timed lead right hook that had the crowd stunned at Campos resilience to stay on his feet as he sprawled back into the ropes. From there on Taylor piled on pressure head and body which saw Campos visit the canvas twice in round two. The end finally came in round three as Taylor came out and picked up from where he left off in the previous round. Crisp, sharp combinations once again saw Campos visit the canvas and this time when Campos rose, referee Victor Laughlin had a good look at the Nicaraguan and decided he had seen enough which brought no argument from anyone in attendance.

Taylor now moves to 12-0-0 (11 early) successfully defending his WBC silver super lightweight title in the process. It was confirmed on the night his next fight is pencilled in for June 9th again at The SSE Hydro with an opponent yet to be determined but the general feeling is it may be someone highly ranked within the WBC, a route which seems to be preferential for Cyclone Promotions.

On the undercard, we had the Commonwealth super lightweight title up for grabs as Jason Easton tackled Glenn Foot for vacant strap. This was arguably the fight of the night as both men engaged in constant vicious exchanges with Englishman Foot eventually proving too strong for a game Easton who went to the hospital after the contest hopefully just as a precaution. This was a back and forth fight which saw Easton down early in round two from a huge right hand to the head. From there on in both fighters had their successes. When Easton boxed he seemed to pick Foot off at ease however the tough Sunderland man would not be denied and seemed to wait until the later part of the rounds to put an onslaught on Easton as if to steal the rounds and leave a lasting impression on the judges. Easton had success but it always seemed that he was the one struggling to deal with the punishment Foot was giving out and in round eleven this was evident  as he endured a few massive right hands which caused him to sag heavily against the ropes and go down to the canvas with the referee almost waving it off immediately. At the time of the stoppage, I had it 97-94 Foot. Attention immediately turned to the well being of Easton who we are wishing a speedy recovery.

Elsewhere on the card, Chantelle Cameron was in an entertaining ten round fight with Myriam Dellal of France. Cameron seemed to load up at times and lacked a little in the defence department but there was only one person in charge of this contest as Cameron switched well from body to head landing hard thudding hooks which seemed to trouble Dellal at times but the visitor from France was one tough nut and deserved to hear the final bell in a contest I scored 100-90 in favour of Cameron. Cameron seems to be improving all the time and certainly seems a force to be reckoned with in the woman’s lightweight division. There were also impressive wins on the card for Lee McGregor who moved to 3-0-0 stopping Pablo Narvaez in two rounds with some impressive power punching, Marc Kerr who stopped Iain Trotter in three rounds to pick up vacant Scottish Middleweight title. Light Heavyweight Malik Zinad moved to 11-0-0 with a second-round stoppage of Jevgenijs Andrejevs. Gary Rae stopped Zoltan Horvarth and Joe Ham picked up a routine points win. The only disappointment of the night was another head clash between Charlie Flynn and Ryan Collins which meant their rematch ended in another technical draw. Flynn appeared to be in control in the rematch dropping Collins in the first round and outboxing him but due to four rounds not being completed and the fight ending in the fourth round the contest is made an automatic technical draw.

Overall a fantastic night and great show put on for all by Cyclone Promotions and we look forward to being back on the 9th June for some more epic action.

About The World Boxing Wall (2321 Articles)

Leave a Comment! Do you agree or not? Anything else to add?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: